Media Contacts

If you are a member of media with questions, please contact:

John Doran
406-437-6195Email John

Jesse Zentz
406-437-6182Email Jesse

I Have a Question about an IRS Letter

Sep. 02, 2015

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) gives premium tax credits to help cut the monthly cost of health care coverage to people who meet certain income requirements. People who get these credits must file a tax return, or lose those tax credits the next year. Some people who received the tax credit during 2014 have not yet filed a return. Recently, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) began sending letters to people who got the tax credit and did not file a return.

I got a letter from the IRS telling me I need to file a tax return or I will lose my tax credit. Is this true?

If you got a letter from the IRS, you should follow the instructions in the letter to avoid losing your tax credits or cost-sharing reductions. If you have questions about the letter, call the IRS for more information at 800-829-1040. You can also check with a tax advisor.

Will you charge me more for my health plan if I don't file taxes?

If you don't file taxes and lose your tax credit or cost-sharing reduction as a result, we may get an update to your file from the Health Insurance Marketplace. This could change the amount you pay each month.

Will my health plan get cancelled if I don't file taxes?

No, your health plan won't be cancelled. But this could change the premium amount you have to pay each month. If the Marketplace sends an update to how much you should pay without the tax credit, you will have to pay the amount owed each month in order to keep your coverage.

I have never had to file taxes before. Why do I have to do it now?

We cannot give tax advice. Still, we can tell you that people who get tax credits to help pay for health plans are required by law to file a tax return. It may be a good idea for you to check with a tax advisor or call the IRS for more information at 800-829-1040.

I never got anything from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana to help me with my taxes.

If you had a premium tax credit, you should have gotten a form, called 1095-A, from the Health Insurance Marketplace. If you did not get this form or you cannot find it, you can call the Marketplace at 800-318-2596.