Montana Charities Reap Benefits of BCBSMT's Blue Role Model Challenge Win
BCBSMT employees have earned a year of bragging rights by edging out their HCSC peers in the state versus state 2014 Blue Role Model Blue Bonus Challenge.
As part of the reward for winning the friendly competition, Montana employees voted to select these five worthy organizations from across the state to receive a cumulative $25,000 charitable donation:
- Montana Wounded Warriors — Gives veterans an opportunity to heal by sharing outdoors experiences with other veterans experiencing similar challenges.
- National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) — Supports, educates, and advocates for Montanans with severe mental illnesses and their families.
- Montana Food Bank Network — Works to end hunger in Montana through food acquisition and distribution, education, and advocacy.
- Camp Mak-A-Dream — Provides cost-free Montana experience in an intimate community setting for children, teens, young adults, women, and families affected by cancer.
- Farm in the Dell — Offers a welcoming home in a farm setting for developmentally disabled adults to learn life skills such as producing and selling eggs and greenhouse vegetables.
"Due to the hard work and perseverance of our employees, I am very pleased that Montana received the opportunity to donate $5,000 to five great Montana charities," Plan President Mike Frank said at the March 2 all-employee celebration. "I applaud our employees for reaffirming through the Blue Role Model Challenge a strong commitment to improving their own health and to making our communities a better place to live."
To earn their victory, 224 BCBSMT employees spent more than 4,000 hours serving in their communities. In addition, 345 Montana employees received their biometric screenings, 59 completed activity logs, 21 completed fruit/vegetable intake logs, and 146 read the social responsibility reports.
Dr. Paul Grmoljez, BCBSMT Affiliate Board chairman, aptly summed up Montana employees' outstanding achievement.
"A company is only as good as its employees, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana employees have performed spectacularly as role models for our members, for their coworkers, and for their communities," Grmoljez said.