HELENA – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) announced Wednesday it will offer a special enrollment period for its insured group customers. Employees of fully insured group customers who did not opt in for coverage during the regular enrollment period will have an opportunity to get coverage for their health care needs. The special open enrollment period begins April 1 and will end April 30, 2020.
“Our mission to help meet the health care coverage needs of as many people as possible during this unprecedented time,” BCBSMT President Collette Hanson said.
This optional special enrollment period would apply to eligible employees and their dependents who previously declined coverage and now would like to enroll, or currently enrolled employees who wish to add an eligible spouse or dependent to their existing coverage. The effective date for coverage will be April 1, 2020. This enrollment event will be for medical/pharmacy and dental coverage only.
Other changes announced by BCBSMT in response to COVID-19 during this public health emergency include:
- Expanding access to telehealth coverage;
- Waiving preauthorization and members’ cost-sharing for testing to diagnose COVID-19;
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills;
- Lifting cost-sharing for in-network medically necessary services delivered via telemedicine;
- Waiving prior authorization requirements for transfers to in-network, alternative post-acute facilities until April 30, 2020;
- Launching a dedicated COVID-19 educational website so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19; and
- Waiving member cost-sharing, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, related to treatment for COVID-19.
For the latest information on BCBSMT’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and other information and tips to stay healthy, please visit bcbsmt.com.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) is a division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. BCBSMT is the largest and longest-standing statewide, customer-owned health insurer and full-service health benefits administrator in Montana. BCBSMT has provided high-quality health insurance plans and administrative services to Montanans for 80 years. BCBSMT’s purpose is to stand with its members in sickness and in health.