In-Home Test Kits for Diabetics
Monitor Diabetes Control
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) is working with Home Access Health Corporation to provide in-home test kits for some of our fully insured individual members with diabetes. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many have delayed getting appropriate care. Home Access Health Corporation is sending out two different kits to members who have not received the recommended testing to close care gaps: hemoglobin A1c test kits and microalbumin urine test kits.
Fully insured individual members in our Blue Preferred PPOSM and Blue Focus POSSM networks may receive one or both kits, depending on their test history. Eligible members are:
- Between 18 and 75 years old
- Have not had a hemoglobin A1c or microalbumin urine test in the recommended timeframe
The American Diabetes Association says people living with diabetes should have the following:
- Hemoglobin A1c every three to six months depending on their diabetes treatment and level of control
- Urine microalbumin once a year to detect early signs of kidney damage
In-Home Test Kit Process
The process is quick and easy for members to follow:
- We notify members that they will receive one or both test kits and that completing the kits is voluntary.
- Home Access Health Corporation sends the appropriate test kits to eligible members.
- Members complete the test kit at home, provide the name of their primary care provider and mail the test for processing to Home Access Health Corporation. Completed tests are due to Home Access Health Corporation by Dec. 18, 2020. An addressed, postage-paid envelope is included in the kit.
- Home Access Health Corporation sends the results to the member and their primary care provider in three to four weeks.
How You Can Help
As a trusted provider, you can encourage our members to take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about their health.
- Discuss the importance of screening and healthy lifestyle choices with our member
- If our member receives a kit and calls your office with questions, discuss their screening options
- Document any test results in the member’s medical record and discuss the results with our member
If you have any questions, please contact MaryRose Amendola RN, by email or call 406-437-6813