Health Insurance Deductibles, Coinsurance and Maximum Limits

Once you understand the different parts of your health insurance costs you’ll want to know how these work together and what your out-of-pocket costs may be. Here are a few examples of how deductibles, coinsurance and maximum limits work together.

Example #1: Deductibles, Coinsurance and Out-of-Pocket Maximums

Your health insurance plan has a:

  • $5,000 deductible
  • 20% coinsurance
  • Out-of-pocket maximum of $6,000

This means:

  • You must pay the first $5,000 of your medical costs.
  • After that, your plan covers 80% of the costs, and you pay the other 20%.
  • When the amount of coinsurance you've paid reaches $6,000, the plan covers 100% until your "plan year" renews. A plan is good for one year.

At the start of each year, your deductible and coinsurance resets for the next plan year and the $5,000 deductible and 20% coinsurance will start again.

Example #2: Coinsurance After You've Met Your Deductible

You bruise your hip in a fall and you need an X-ray. You've met your annual $5,000 deductible so your plan now pays for benefits. What you pay to see your doctor depends on your coinsurance, which in our example, is 20%.

Here's how the costs might break down:

  • The X-ray costs $200.
  • Your plan covers 80%, which is $160.
  • Your out-of-pocket cost, or coinsurance, is $40.

Example #3: Maximum Limits

Your plan covers up to a certain amount for tests, procedures and medical services. These limits help keep rates fair and reasonable, which helps lower costs for all members.

Let's say your doctor charges more for an X-ray.

  • Your plan covers a maximum of $200 for an X-ray.
  • Your doctor charges $300.
  • You may have to pay the $100 difference.

 

Please send us your question so a licensed agent can contact you.

Please enter a valid first name

Please enter a valid last name

Please enter a valid phone number

Please enter a valid email address

How would you prefer to be contacted?

Please enter a question

You must be at least 18 years old to submit a request.

*Required

Thank you!

Your information has been received.

Sorry!

There has been an error with your submission.

We can send you an email with information on our health care plans.

Please enter a valid first name

Please enter a valid last name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid phone number

If you provide a phone number, an agent may call you to make sure that you received the information and to answer any questions that you might have.

You must be at least 18 years old to submit a request.

*Required

Thank you!

Your information has been received.

Sorry!

There has been an error with your submission.

Please select the product you are interested in:

Please enter a valid first name

Please enter a valid last name

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter a valid date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)

Please enter a valid city

Please select a state

Please enter a valid zip code

Please enter a valid phone number

You must be at least 18 years old to submit a request.

*Required

Thank you!

Your information has been received.

Sorry!

There has been an error with your submission.

 

Need Assistance Shopping?

Sales Questions and Additional Plan Information:
1-855-594-1515
Calls may or may not be answered inside the United States.

Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. MT
Saturday: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. MT
Sunday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. MT

Customer Service:
1-855-258-8471
Calls may or may not be answered inside the United States.

Monday – Friday: 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. MT
Saturday: 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. MT
Sunday: Closed

Already a member?
Call the Customer Service number on the back of your member ID card.

New to Medicare or Need Help Shopping for a Plan?

Call us at 1-866-940-3022 TTY 711

We’re open between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., local time, 7 days a week. If you’re calling from April 1 through September 30, alternate technologies (for example, voicemail) will be used on the weekends and holidays.