With multiple levels of benefits, our Blue Options plan helps employers control health care costs by encouraging employees to visit select providers. This plan offers employees a richer benefit when they use providers in the Blue OptionsSM network (tier 1). Members still have the flexibility to access providers in the broad Blue Preferred PPOSM network (tier 2), or see out-of-network providers, but will pay higher out-of-pocket costs.
With Blue Options, members have the freedom to choose a provider based on their preferences. Members select a primary care physician (PCP) but are not required to get a referral to see a specialist.
How Blue Options Works
Blue Options is designed to encourage members to make consumer-directed decisions about their health care.
The tiered structure encourages them to visit providers in the top tiers to maximize savings.
- Tier 1 – If members use providers in the Blue Options network, they will pay the lowest out-of-pocket expenses and receive the highest level of benefits.
- Tier 2 – If members use providers in the Blue Preferred PPO network, they will pay more in out-of-pocket expenses and receive a lower level of benefits.
- Tier 3 – If members use an out-of-network providers, they will pay the highest out-of-pocket expenses.
Get More with Blue Options
- When members travel outside of Montana, they have access to the BlueCard® program*. This program gives them the ability to obtain health care services through a Blue Cross and Blue Shield-affiliated physician, hospital or other health care provider when they are out of state.
- The Blue365® member discount program** can make health and wellness more affordable. This program offers exclusive health and wellness deals, as well as savings from top national and local retailers on fitness gear, gym memberships, family activities, healthy eating choices and much more.
- Members are able to take advantage of health and wellness programs.
- They also have access to a full range of ancillary services, such as home health care, hospice, private duty nursing, surgery centers and skilled nursing facilities.
* Benefits are paid at the tier 2 level except for emergencies, accidents, and services that are not available.
** Blue365 is a discount program only for BCBSMT members. This is NOT insurance. Some of the services offered through this program may be covered under the health plan you choose to offer. Employees should check their benefit booklet or call the Customer Service number on their BCBSMT member ID card for specific benefit facts. Use of Blue365 does not change monthly payments, nor do costs of the services or products count toward any maximums and/or plan deductibles. Discounts are only given through vendors that take part in this program. BCBSMT does not guarantee or make any claims or recommendations about the program’s services or products. Members should consult their doctor before using these services and products. BCBSMT reserves the right to stop or change this program at any time without notice.