Claim Payment and Remittance
Electronic Solutions for an Efficient Office
BCBSMT providers who receive paper checks and Provider Claim Summaries (PCSs) via the U.S. Mail may wish to consider the electronic alternatives listed below for greater efficiency, convenience and security of information.
Advantages of enrolling for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) and Electronic Payment Summary (EPS):
- No more lost or stolen checks
- Quicker access to your funds
- Increased security of information
- Less time spent on claims tracking
- Expedited patient account reconciliation
- Easier retrieval of archived data
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
EFT is a direct deposit of your claim payment from BCBSMT to your designated bank account.
- To enroll online for EFT, you must be a registered Availity® Provider Portal user – there is no cost to register at availity.com
- Refer to the Availity EFT tip sheet for details
Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA)
The ERA or ANSI 835 transaction is a HIPAA-compliant method of receiving claim payment and remittance details. The ERA can be automatically posted to your patient accounting system. You should also check with your billing service, clearing house or software vendor to confirm ERA-compatibility and availability of auto-posting software.
- Enroll online via the Availity Provider Portal
- Refer to the Availity ERA tip sheet for details
- An online Remittance Viewer tool is available via the Availity Portal to providers and billing services to search, view, save and print remittance information, even if the ERA is delivered to an appointed receiver.
Electronic Payment Summary (EPS)*
*Available for commercial claims only
When you enroll for the ERA,you are automatically enrolled for the EPS, which is an electronic version of the paper PCS.
- The EPS arrives faster than the PCS and is easier to archive for future retrieval
- You must enroll for the ERA in order to receive the EPS.
Have additional E-Commerce questions?
- Email Electronic Commerce Services
- Visit the Training page in the Education and Reference Center of our Provider website for dates and times of upcoming Remittance Viewer webinars.
Compensation for Services, Fee Schedules
How much will I be compensated for my services?
All Compensation Policies and Fee Schedules are available on our website when you Register for Provider Online Services . For clarifications and questions, contact HCS-X6100@bcbsmt.com or call 800-447-7828 ext. 6100.
You can log in on at the top of the page for more information.
Availity is a registered trademark of Availity, L.L.C., a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative services to BCBSMT. BCBSMT makes no endorsement, representations or warranties regarding any products or services provided by third party vendors such as Availity. If you have any questions about the products or services provided by such vendors, you should contact the vendor(s) directly.
- Availity Electronic Funds Transfer Tip Sheet
- Availity Electronic Remittance Advice Tip Sheet
- Electronic Funds Transfer Companion Guide (835 EFT)
- Electronic Remittance Advice Companion Guide (835 ERA)
- Government Interpreting the ‘PLB’ Segment on the 835 ERA
- Commercial Interpreting the ‘PLB’ Segment on the 835 ERA
- Reporting on Demand/PCS Tip Sheet
- Remittance Viewer Tip Sheet