August 18, 2023
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) is excited to announce a new and convenient electronic capability to submit claim reconsiderations (including BlueCard® out-of-area claims), using Availity’s Dispute Claim capability anchored off the enhanced Claim Status tool. This method of inquiry submission is preferred over faxed/mailed claim disputes to BCBSMT, as it allows providers to upload supporting documentation and monitor the status all online.
A Claim Reconsideration is a request to review and/or reevaluate a claim that has been finalized.
Please note: This electronic option is not currently available for Medicare Advantage claims.
We encourage you to begin utilizing the new claim reconsiderations process now, as the Claim Inquiry Resolution (CIR) tool will be retired later in 2023. The Claim Reconsideration capability should be used to inquire on a previously processed claim.
Using this new online offering allows the following:
- status management
- upload of supporting documentation with submission
- view and print confirmation and decision
- generates a Dashboard view of claim reconsideration request activity
- view uploaded documents after attached to the request*
*Note: Uploaded attachments may take minutes to hours before they are viewable in the request.
Steps to submit claim reconsideration requests online:
- Log into
- Select Claims & Payments from the navigation menu, then choose Claim Status
- Search and locate the claim using the Member or Claim Number options
- On the Claim Status results page, select Dispute Claim (if offered and applicable)
- Select Reconsideration as the Dispute Reason
- Complete the Dispute Request form
- Upload supporting documentation
- Review and submit your claim reconsideration request
For assistance with obtaining enhanced claim status online, refer to the Claim Status Tool user guide.
BCBSMT is hosting complimentary instructor led webinars for providers to learn how to use this new electronic claim reconsideration tool. To register for a training session, select your preferred date and time below.
Availity Administrators must assign users the Claim Status role in Availity Essentials to ensure users can access and submit electronic claim reconsiderations online. If your provider organization is not yet registered with Availity, you can sign up today at , at no charge. For registration assistance contact Availity Client Services at 800-282-4548.
For More Information
See the Claim Reconsideration Requests user guide in the Provider Tools section of our website. Also, stay informed by refer to upcoming Blue Review publications as well as News and Update articles. If you need further education or assistance, contact our Provider Education Consultants.
Availity is a trademark of Availity, LLC, a separate company that operates a health information network to provide electronic information exchange services to medical professionals. Availity provides administrative