Pharmacy Prescription Drug Lists
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) drug lists, are provided as a guide to help in the selection of cost-effective drug therapies. The drug list information below applies to members with prescription drug coverage through BCBSMT, covering such health plans as including individual and employer-offered plans, Medicare and Medicaid government plans and metallic plans offered on and off the Montana Health Insurance Marketplace.
Drug Evaluation and Selection
BCBSMT uses the Prime Therapeutics National Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee to review and evaluate new drugs based on safety, efficacy and cost. In addition to lists of approved drugs, the drug lists also describe how drugs are selected, coverage considerations and dispensing limits. (Complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, are included in the members' benefit materials.)
While providers are encouraged to refer to the BCBSMT Drug Lists when prescribing for our members, we understand that the final decision about what medications should be prescribed is between the health care provider and the patient.
Pharmacy Benefit Management
BCBSMT uses Prime Therapeutics LLC, as its pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) to administer certain core pharmacy services. Prime’s pharmacy benefit management services include:
- Processing and paying Rx claims
- Developing and maintaining the drug list
- Contracting with pharmacy networks
Verify what drugs are on the drug list by using the Find a Drug tool , or review the current lists below.
- Basic Drug List
- Basic Drug List Updates
- Multi-Tier Basic Drug List
- Multi-Tier Basic Drug List Updates
- Q&A and Commonly Prescribed Drugs
- Enhanced Drug List
- Enhanced Drug List Updates
- Multi-Tier Enhanced Drug List
- Multi-Tier Enhanced Drug List Updates
- Enhanced Non-Covered Drug List
- 2017 On/Off Exchange Drug List – 5-Tier
- 2018 On/Off Exchange Drug List – 6-Tier
- 2018 On Exchange Drug List – 5-Tier (applies to one Silver PPO plan only)
- Performance Drug List
- Performance Select Drug List
- Medicare Part D plans
Prime Therapeutics LLC is a pharmacy benefit management company. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana contracts with Prime Therapeutics to provide pharmacy benefit management and other related services. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana, as well as several other independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, has an ownership interest in Prime Therapeutics LLC.