Each year, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Montana (BCBSMT) supports communities throughout our state with grants and sponsorships with the overarching goal of improving access to and affordability of health care. We are proud of these community investments and value the very important work that organizations are doing to keep Montanans healthy.
Community Giving at BCBSMT is divided into three areas: grants, sponsorships, and The Big Blue Sky InitiativeSM (BBSI) major grants. Funding and approval decisions for grants and sponsorships are made by BCBSMT’s Community Investments Committee. Requests for funding will not be considered for: tuition, fees, dues, meals, subscriptions, beauty or talent contests, telethons, political campaigns, religious activities, bricks and mortar, or for an individual.
BCBSMT is unable to fund organizations or projects with written policies that discriminate against individuals based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
When deciding to apply for either a grant or a sponsorship, review the BCBSMT Grants information and contact BCBSMT with questions.
A charitable grant supports either program-focused initiatives or general operating support. Grants provide support to programs and organizations that align with our mission to promote health, wellness and human services in the communities we serve. Only 501(c)(3) organizations are eligible to apply.
Our new grants management platform is now available. We hope that this change will give your organization a streamlined and efficient process, leading to more time with communities where we live, work and play. If you have questions on how to create an account, read our How to Log In guide.
A sponsorship is primarily for supporting a fundraiser or event for a charity or non-charitable community, civic or educational organization that provides visibility for BCBSMT in the communities we serve. Such fundraising events may include galas, dinners and/or luncheons, banquets, seminars and/or conferences, and various community events.
Organizations applying for a sponsorship are not required to hold a 501(c)(3) status. Requests should be received at least 60 days prior to start date or event date to ensure that BCBSMT is able to take advantage of all sponsorship recognition opportunities per the specific sponsorship levels.
You must submit a sponsorship application prior to Nov. 30, 2022 for all events taking place in 2022 or January 2023. If your event takes place February 2023 or later, you can apply when the application opens in January 2023.
For questions about grants or sponsorships, contact Randi Heigh.
The Big Blue Sky Initiative major grant program, funded through BlueImpactSM, is a BCBSMT effort designed to build healthier communities as part of an ongoing commitment to invest in and partner with nonprofit organizations that offer sustainable, measurable programs to reach Montanans in these focus areas:
- Economic opportunity and stability: Addressing issues such as poverty, removing barriers to employment, providing good jobs and upskilling;
- Nutrition: Supporting efforts to decrease hunger and increase access to nutritional food;
- Neighborhood and local assets: Focusing on affordable healthy housing, access to transportation and to physical activity;
- Locally defined health solutions: Addressing hyperlocal health and human service needs; and
- Optimal health outcomes: Helping close gaps in care, specifically in immunizations, diabetes care, cardiovascular care, behavioral health, early detection cancer screening, and maternal and infant health.
In addition to aligning with one or more of our focus areas, we require criteria for review of all grant proposals:
- The organization must hold a 501(c)(3) tax status
- The grant must primarily target individuals in Montana
- The program must be measurable and demonstrate how the goals will be met as defined in the grant proposal
Instructions to help you with the application process
Apply for a Big Blue Sky Initiative major grant
Return to a saved application or review previously submitted applications
If you have any questions, email us.